Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

openGL/openCL Availablity for Photoshop

First, cool service!

On to business...

Do I need Personal Pro 16GB to enable openGL/openCL, or does Personal Air 4GB/8GB provide openGL/openCL without a discreet GPU?

The issue is that the "credits per hour" jump way up, just for basic photo editing with GPU (Pro 16GB). Think family photo level, so cost matters. I use Photoshop to process batches of photos using Actions (macros).

Speed isn't my main issue, just ability. I'm not looking for a video rendering farm, just a second desktop to render jpegs.

Frame would be used for Photoshop only, so switching is no help. I'd be fine with Air 4GB/8GB if it supports openGL/openCL, like my AMD APU desktops do, otherwise, I can build a machine to my needs very cheaply. My "workstation" is an AMD A10-7850K APU without a discreet graphic card, so you can see, not cutting edge... laptops with openGL/openCL work fine too.

Also, Photoshop does not benefit as much with multiple cores as other graphic apps. I've seen single and 2 core machines run Photoshop fast enough. I do not run graphics-intensive processing, just regular 2D Photoshop; still, Frame could be a great solution, if the price is right...

...but I use "Oil Paint" and "Smart Sharpen" (see below), that use openGL/openCL, which is why I need this question answered.

- Thanks

BTW...

Photoshop now requires openGL/openCL for some basic functions, not just high-end, graphics-intensive processing, and are said to be adding more basic features in the near future.

From Adobe...
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Features that won't work without a GPU

If your graphics processor is unsupported or its driver is defective, the following Photoshop features won't work:

3D
Oil Paint
Render – Flame, Picture Frame, and Tree
Scrubby Zoom
Birds Eye View
Flick Panning
Smooth Brush Resizing

Features that require a GPU for acceleration:

Artboards
Camera Raw (more information)
Image Size – Preserve Details
Select Focus
Blur Gallery - Field Blur, Iris Blur, Tilt-Shift, Path Blur, Spin Blur (OpenCL accelerated)
Smart Sharpen (Noise Reduction – OpenCL accelerated)
Perspective Warp
Select and Mask (OpenCL accelerated)