Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support for Google Drive - now in beta

edited March 2016 in General
Today we enabled our beta of Google Drive support for all Frame Personal, Frame for Education and Frame for Business accounts. If you are on a Frame Platform account you can have the Google Drive beta enabled by request (just send a note to [email protected]).

From the Files page in your Launchpad you'll see the Google Drive option is now enabled letting you connect your account there. In addition, you can connect from within a session by clicking the Google Drive icon in the Frame status bar (lower right corner). Let us know what you think.

Comments

• How does the connection to Drive actually work? I see that Google Drive shows up as a mounted drive in the Windows OS. Is it syncing all Drive files to Frame (like Google's Drive local sync utility)? Or is it just providing links to files, and the file gets pulled from Drive only when it's clicked to be opened?
  • Hi Eric,

We're only indexing and displaying links to the files when you view the mounted drive, and don't actually begin a transfer until you've attempted to open or move any individual file. However, the transfer speeds our datacenter connection gives your Frame session are so high that we've found that this does not significantly impact usability under most circumstances. I'm anticipating that you'll be fine.

If you run into any problems with storage drives (or anything at all, really) feel free to drop us a line at [email protected] with the details, and we'll get it sorted out for you.

Thanks,
    -John
  • Thanks for the explanation.

Understanding this method of "only indexing and displaying links", an issue I've run into is when there's Windows OS special characters used in a Google Drive folder or filename... trying to open said item while using Frame fails with an error.
  • Eric,
    Thanks for bringing that up. We've passed your report to our developers for further investigation. If you see anything like this moving forward, feel free to send us a note at [email protected]

Thanks,
    Aubry