Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

definition of credit

Can't find this explicitly, but from my own observation can you confirm:

1. one credit = 1 minute of usage
2. credits go down in chunks of 10... does this mean if I spin up a session for 3 credits worth and then shut down, that costs me 10 credits? or does Fra.me deduct per credit, and is only updating my remaining balance in chunks of 10?

Comments

• The credit structure is explained on these pages which go over pricing for our Frame Personal and Frame for Business offerings (scroll down to the 2nd panel):

https://fra.me/pricing-personal
    https://fra.me/pricing-business

Credits are used up at different rates depending on what system you are running. So for example, for our Air system (no GPU), credits are used at a rate of 10 credits per hour (and credits are indeed consumed on full-hour increments). The Pro system (1 GPU) uses up credits at a higher rate of 60 credits per hour.

So essentially, the credit system is a key part of enabling you to be able to switch system types depending on what kind of app you want to run at a given time. Don't need a GPU for running an Office app? -- switch to Air, need a GPU to do some 3D design? - switch to Pro, etc.
  • edited August 2016
    Ok, Carsten, so far so good. But now here is a problem I am having with this:

So, I signed up today for a personal account. After trying around a bit I found out that the user apparently gets billed for credits every time he switches systems.

So I got billed for switching

Air ---> Pro ---> Air ---> Pro

every time at the very beginning when the system booted. What is annoying about this is that I did not see that this way of charging credits is being communicated anywhere clearly, so I ended up not knowing and having to pay the full 60 credits for the first time I used the pro system even though I had only used it 15 minutes. It would be nice if fra.me could tell users about this in greater detail so they do not waste too many credits just by not knowing how the system works.

Secondly, I wonder how the time of use is measured. When the system is "up and running" the little dot is green. Now, am I being charged continuously as long as the dot is green, even though I may not have any application open? Or only if I use an application or the windows desktop? What if I leave the green do running (not shutting down the system) and leave the website? Will the system just keep running and use up all my credits even though I am not doing anything? And, if I actually do have to shut it down before leaving (i.e. turning the dot red), will I be charged for another full hour next time I come back and have to boot the system again? That would be super unfair because it is only very seldom that any user has to use the system for the exact duration on hour...
  • Robert,
    There is no incremental credit consumption for sessions lasting less than an hour. The credits are deducted (for the entire first hour) on system start-up, and again for each subsequent hour that the instance is running. Because of this, repeatedly Powering Off and Powering On an instance can result in multiple "hours" of usage occurring in a comparatively small period of time.

Shortly before each hour is billed, our system will detect if no active sessions are currently running, and shut the instance down to prevent additional charges (the exception is for Frame for Business accounts that have a server Buffer or Minimum specified). Because of this, we typically recommend that you do not manually Power Off your instances when you are done using them. Leaving them running (without an active session), will result in no additional credit deductions.

Currently, full-hour billing is a limitation of our primary infrastructure provider, meaning we are also billed for a full hour the moment you Power On an instance. I agree that this is not optimal for use-cases requiring brief, sporadic access to the system, and we are definitely investigating options to improve the granularity of usage billing. For now, however, this is a standing limitation.